Monday, April 27, 2009

2009 WWE Backlash Thoughts




Well, I said in my preview post that Backlash was going to be bad because of a lack of build but I was proven wrong with a fair amount of quality matches.

Cena and Edge stole the show with a great last man standing match. Cena's FU into the crowd was one of the coolest spots I've seen in a while. Edge winning came as no surprise as Smackdown needs a world champion. Big Show's interference will mean he will feud with Cena somewhere down the line, which I'm not really looking forward to. It's hard to tell who Edge will feud with next, maybe Mysterio, Jeff Hardy or Punk.

The six-man match was okay. I'm glad Orton won and with the move that has made him most effective as a heel, the punt to the head. It was hilarious when the crowd was singing the goodbye song to Trips as he was being carted off.

Christian won the ECW title over Jack Swagger in another good match. It's difficult to tell who Christian will feud with next. If WWE is still playing up the Tommy Dreamer retirement angle, I expect the ECW original to get a shot soon.

The Beth/Santina/Khali segment was so brutal and has no place on tv let alone a ppv. The Hardy vs. Hardy I Quit match was good and this match may have been the blow off to the feud. I think Punk needed to win in his match against Kane to make him strong as the MITB winner but that didn't happen. Jericho and Steamboat was a good match as Steamboat still has it. I wonder which legend Jericho will feud with next if they continue this angle.

Overall, Backlash surprised me but TNA Lockdown still wins as the best wrestling ppv in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment